HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Zhent Agression and contra strategy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
White Rose

PostSubject: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:00 pm

I include this part of the forum since so many players not in Misty Falls Guild have expressed interest in this possible event, or series of events.
I am asking Zhent players to avoid obvious META from things posted here. I have already been in chat with the Dm in control of this, and we know what is known IC and what is not.

Situation : Misty Falls Keep sits at the base of Krag mountain, and is strategically located near Cross Roads ( Leading to East Approach to Shadowdale and Rsnger Camp) , roads through the Orc lands leading to Twin Forts and Daggerdale, and North approach to Shadowdale.
This valued location is presently held by a benevolent force , the Guild of Misty Falls. When this location had previously been held by the shady House of Redemption, the headmaster Crypto had secret alliance with the Zhents , but now that is swept away by regime change, once Elektra broke her pact and threw all evil out, creating the Guild of Misty Falls in place of the HOR.
Inevitable conflict came , and now the Zhents , Fzoul , their leader , has a "reason" to make a military move, to take the valuable strategic location.

The Report: Zhents will come, whether or not the early waves can be defeated by several possible strategies I have already discussed with the Dm, the eventual fate is clear... The Keep of Misty Falls with be crushed under the heavy and extensive ear machine of the Zhent Empire.

OOC issues : OOC a Dm running battles and war has a massive headache to handle. No one likes to lose , and someone will. Arguments will abound , some over limits of the software , some over unfavorable out comes, Wards fadind during argument / discussion ... and so on...
Soo , for the sake of the Dm, as well as IC issues , I am asking folks to respond to this thread. War is only ONE Rp option. Possible peaceful solutions are also being discussed.
Help us evaluate the wish of the players, please ... Answer either OOC , or IC.
Imagine we are having a Town Hall meeting.

The Question :
OOC - who wants to RP the battles ?
IC- is the loss of life , spilling blood , instilling vengeance in the Zhent Empire .. All worth it ? " I, Elektra, even with so much to lose , am considering destroying our home ourselves, to prevent what seems inevitable! But tell me , fellow lovers of freedom... Should we fight anyway ?"
Back to top Go down
Badgerthej

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:35 pm

*Netheria steps up*

peaceful....there will never be a peaceful solution.

hells you will only get a peaceful solution by running away *spits* you're going to have to deal with blood regardless....i'm not part of your fancy guild but i've got a few bones to pick clean with those on the kragg any who will fight, count me by your side.

if you want to hear something more appropriate, we'll fight till you clean the place out....then we burn it with them in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Leo was there to guard Misty Falls when he had opportunity but after that he had to return home to parenting duty. He hopes that Misty Falls will prevail dark times, as he has seen, with Ravossel's help, that their ways changed.
Back to top Go down
Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Lyssandra was known for her dogma and complete lack of sanity; good, evil, mercenaries, paladins, priests, beggars, it doesn't matter who is doing the killing and who is the one being killed all that matters is that the blood never gets a chance to dry.
So she was waiting, waiting for the moment when a conflict would arise and she would be able to seize the chance to kill as many as she could in the name of Garagos, sides didn't matter.

Last edited by Vargas on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:40 am

Hork says, "smash Zhent"
Back to top Go down
princeofdevils

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:41 pm

*Esposita steps up holding one of her katanas up in the air as to speak.*  "I for one have lived under the despotic rule of the Zhents in Shadowdale when they controlled it...  I then fled to Freehaven and started over again...  then I lost my home as well as my god's temple to the undead there!!!  Misty Falls took me in as well as gave me a home and a place to worship and pay homage to The Golden Lady!!!  I feel Misty Falls is my Home and this guild is my family!!!  No matter what happens I will be by your side brothers and sisters of Misty Falls...  Even if it means to the death I will be here!!!  If it is so decided to leave and burn this place to the ground, so be it!!!  But before we decide to tuck our tails and run we must think of how far are we willing to run to...  Shadowdale, Myth Drannor, Iron House, or any other faction might not be coming to our aide and help stop the Zhent aggression but they must all realize we might be the first to go!!  But we will not be the last!!!  I seen when the Zhents where driven back to Krag... Now here they come again so there relentless aggression will not end until the Zhents are all are destroyed!!!!  So Shadowdale, Myth Drannor, Iron House if you don't come and help us defend Misty Falls, then I say to them...  Prepare yourself because your next!!!
Back to top Go down
AngryAngryHippo

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:46 pm

*Masked man, in a lightly-armored suit covered with leaves, dirt and forest colors stops and hands a letter addressed simply "To leader of Misty Falls - FOR THEIR EYES ONLY" to the keep guard. Within the letter, there are two parchments; one is a detailed sketch of a young tiefling man, the other a short letter in a neat, rectangular handwriting: *

To leaders of Misty Falls Fort,

My name is unimportant but You may call me Cinder. I am a scout-archer who has been roaming these areas for the past ten weeks, and although I am not a native of the area, I've come to know it pretty well. I am offering all my services to You completely free, with only one condition that is non-negotiable. The condition is: If the man on the image is spotted in the army attacking the Misty Falls, I ask of You and Your troops to try and take him prisoner WITHOUT killing him. However, if he does get killed, I want his body so that a priest could resurrect him as soon as it is possible, at my expense. I repeat: this is not negotiable and if you cannot accept it, I will not aid you. I will be in the areas around the Misty Falls Fort, awaiting Your response in person.

In hope we can get to an agreement,
Cinder.
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Elektra would regard the man , after reading the letter
One hand pulls back her long , shiney blond hair , as her ice blue eyes flare a bit as she whispers to the man's ear...
Back to top Go down
cdnspr

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:54 am

"For those who don't know me, my name is Abraham Ingland, peasant-ranger of the Northern farms."  A common-looking man says.  "I'm here to ask you to lay down your arms."  With empty hands, the bearded man speaks.  "I have lost many good friends to the Zhentarim, good people of the earth who wanted nothing more than to live their lives.  I sometime think I should have died fighting for them."

"But this isn't the same fight.  I don't even know what you're fighting for.  A view of the falls?  A fancy house below the dark castle?  There are no peasants here, only employees."  Abraham closes his eyes, pausing.  "Please, if you fight here, you will die to protect this house and the titles it bestows, like "Judicator", whatever that means.  You will die for your egos.  Come with me, instead, and return to Shadowdale.  The fight against the Zhentarim and others continues there, and there are truly innocent people there who really need your help.  I don't know what it is you're really fighting for," Abraham says, eyeing the warlock, then the blood-thirtsy berserker, then the mercenary in turn, "but if you're looking for a good reason to fight, its back in the Dale. Where I'll be."
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am

( ( OOC- not sure who is a warlock , if its Elektra you speak of , your char might be years out of date ... Which i can see is possible ))

Elektra listens to the man with respect for him and his words. She tries to answer as short and simple as possible.
" If we do fight , its to stop Zhent aggression at their first step. They seek to place us all under tyranny of Bane. Stand against them here now, or there later. I respect your choice".
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12 pm

"smash!"
Back to top Go down
comodohead

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Azzelas steps up.
"You cant hold the place by yourself when the enemy has air superiority with their skymages on their drakes. Better get some umbrellas or you get wet. I advise to burn down the forest all around your hold or you wont even see them coming unless they strike from above first, which they might. Thirdly I would assume they then simply position their archery ontop of the krag approach and show you how an army fights and end all people standing unprotected before you even see em. Just the tactics I come up with spontanously. Now imagine what the Chosen of the God of Tyranny and leader of the Zhentarim can come up with if you give him a month. I tell ya.. scorch the place down and poison the lands so they cant use it and head for Shadowdale to regroup. Not much chance I see for you if they really try."

After that he steps back again to have the discussions unfold.
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:10 pm

"Well, if ya gonna make enemy of every Druid in the Dales anyway ... Why not burn the trees when they attack ... Fill the sky with smoke. That way they can't effectively use archers or sky mages... Then its their grunt army against our walls ... and what ever else we prepped."
Elektra responds to Azzelas
Back to top Go down
Ivy

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Ivy disagrees with Azzelas and Elektra. I wish to defend this land again because you, Elektra, offered me home once undead horde destroyed my own in Cormanthor Forest. However burning trees will not reveal your enemy and if you destroy your land then enemy already won. Tree spirits can warn us when their kind sets foot on the land, you just need to feel them as I do. Every war brings destruction upon nature, and they are bringing this destruction here, the spirits are on our side for mutual benefit, survival. And they remember what happened to them last time. There is no way an army could cloak their presence from the senses of the spirits, as they exist in more than one plane and see through both at same time. There is a secret stone circle nearby, and it is time to reveal its hidden powers. As for flying ones, we can call thunder strike and strong winds on them. They will be in no shape to fight if they are trying to stay in the air. Ivy pauses for a moment and sighs. It really sadness me that it came to this. I originally planned to move to north at their land, but my freedom was the price I had to pay. I left and now they want to take this from me too? Ah Azzeals I need more cigars...
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Elektra looks like her heart soars at the description of lightning and storms hindering the sky Mages .
"Brilliant !" , she bursts out. " of a the challenges on us, the Sky Msges are the most vexing on how to foil them. I would even have considered taking wing in my celestial form to fight in the air ... But lightning and storm winds !!! Yes , my Dear , yes ! How easily it is to forget that we not only war against wickedness in the plane, but in others as well.
I would welcome you and your vision into our fold and ranks . . . Whether we take the path of war or peace ... ".
Back to top Go down
Gorebash

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 pm

After listening for a while, Sordoc steps up, "Hmm... I suspect Azzy has sum truth o' the matter... give the zhentish long enuff an' they'll find any weak point to exploit. Maybe Maya's idea...coul' be o' use. nIffen ya want I could ha' a look see... see what sorta o' o'er weaknesses yan place has, o'er then easily isolated an' such. Mayhap alternative ways ta get out, tha' clankers wouldn't suspect."

"Tree spirits be a good idea fer approach... problem be ya'd need a tree singer on site all time. I'll ha' a looksee an' snoop... see wha' me devious gnim head a thinks of, n' have a report back fer ya."
Back to top Go down
Fincaen

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Jaerlsvir sat by with his legs kicked up, picking at his fingernails with the tip of a knife. He watched and listened while the others exchanged ideas. If given the opportunity, he would offer his own suggestion.

"Vhy not just burn the place to the ground? Haf druids bury the rubble under trees and vegetation." He sets his feet down and puts his knife away, then looks around those gathered.

"Don't get me wrong, I velcome a good battle. But if the goal is to beat the Zhentarim...vhy not just destroy vhat it is they vant to claim? Ve forfeit this keep on our own terms, not theirs. Let them take the area peacefully, and then they can vork on deforesting the land."

A smirk stretches across his lips. "I vonder if they haf the balls to provoke the druid circle?"
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 pm

"Well.., with that idea in mind , we would need to gather Shadow Druids to absolutely curse the land against any construction that'll ever come again...".
Back to top Go down
Badgerthej

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Maya quietly gives her words*

you think they wont simply unravel your spells naturegirl, or simpler than that weave their protections...blotting the sky is better then filling it with useless magic.

with an army at their disposal you'll grow tired well before you make an impact.

some of us can delay scouts, spotters and vanguard long enough for people to escape but you're not winning against a godfavoured lord and his army.

Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Before Elektra speaks , an idea flashes through her mind... But she says nothing. A light grin comes to her face as she nods slowly to what ever folks are saying.
Back to top Go down
Gorebash

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:03 pm

After a bit of a disapearance, Sordoc returns and hands Elektra a small set of papers.

"Jus' a quick check o'er tha place, an' wha' me devious gnomish mind can come up wi'."

The Report:

Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Elektra reads over the report, pulling back her hair with the other hand.
As she reads, she can be seen nodding.
Sordoc might hear her softly speak to herself, with words hard to understand... But may sound as if they refer to something like accidentally stumbling into a goblin orgy.... Or worse.

" All good points , Sordoc ... You may have heard of a plan to let them in... And blow the place into either the third or fourth hell ...?".
Back to top Go down
AngryAngryHippo

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:34 pm

*The fire genasi scout, who seems to have been absent from the Misty Falls for several days, returns and gives the guards at the fort two sealed letters - one for Elektra, the other for Sordoc; they read following: *

With the aid of Lady Mineva, Ironhouse Keep's quartermaster, I have managed to produce a decent amount of grenade-like weapons with elemental damaging effects. There are roughly around eight hundred grenades of fire, ice, storm and acid variety, stored in an undisclosed location and ready to be distributed to you, in order so that you can arm your troops at will. I propose that Misty Falls defenders get eighty grenades of each type (320 in total), and militia of Shadowdale a hundred and twenty grenades of each type (480 in total). I've also described, in the bottom of these letters, a risk-free alchemical process with which you can obtain similar weapons of low-yield, in order to train your troops as soon as possible, since there is not much time left before Zhentarim reinforcements arrive in the area.

As for the said reinforcements, after scouting surrounding areas I can confirm that forested areas provide both obstacle and opportunity of sorts - obstacle, for conventional warfare, but ample opportunity for small unit harassment attacks.

Provided that the troops of both Misty Falls Keep and Shadowdale do as I've previously advised and dig lots of stake pit traps, we can get the upper hand against heavily-armored Zhentarim troops. I will also provide to you several vials of strong poisons, which can be further used to coat traps and further put Zhents under pressure.

Another thing that can be very useful against Zhentarim skymages and their mounts is the use of arbalests with grenade-tipped projectiles. As you both might know, skymages have an impressive arsenal of protective wards at their disposal, including elemental and physical resistance bolstering, but their mounts may be more vulnerable to conventional exploding-powder and shrapnel grenades (as confirmed by Lady Mineva), and also items like thunder-stones, which may induce stunning effect, causing them to dive and fall along with their riders. If any of your mages can confirm this, I will provide such items which, with the help of your crafters, can be used in clusters to form arbalest projectiles with a flak-like effect. Lastly, but most importantly, placement of such arbalests is vital - they must be in places secluded enough to withstand direct assault by Zhent forces, but also exposed enough to have a good area of coverage - protected towers of Misty Falls, or dug-out pits with sandbags, in fields of Shadowdale. And - this is EXTREMELY important - they and their crews also must be warded, in turn, to withstand an array of elemental or magical attack.

Lastly, you may ask yourself why would I provide all this help? My reasons are twofold. One, I loathe Zhentarim, and although I will NOT be a part of any army or militia, I will gladly lend my aid to this effort, whatever course of action Lady Elektra and Shadowdale's elders decide upon; master Sordoc, if you decide to take offensive action against Zhentarim forces, I could lend my bow for afore-mentioned hit-and-run actions, as well as conventional warfare. In the meantime, I'll continue to provide alchemical supplies.

Two... there is a man I know and now, with more certainty, believe is working for Zhentarim. Mistress Elektra knows of him from our prior exchange of information and she had agreed to aid me in finding him, alive or dead. I cannot ask that entire Shadowdale Militia keep a special lookout for one man, but I will ask that, if you happen to encounter him or find his body, alert me. This man is a friend. While I cannot speculate about reasons for him to work for Zhentarim, I suspect that he is actively hunting someone, perhaps a member of their troops or clergy, and probably working in secrecy. I urge you to take him prisoner, if it comes to that, rather than killing him.

I am ready to deliver the said supplies as soon as you can take them. Kossuth's blessings upon all,

Cinder.

Last edited by AngryAngryHippo on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
White Rose

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Elektra nods to herself as she reads the letter, pausing occasionally to look out over battlements of the tower , at the lands below.
The wind blows the lower half of her bound pony tail hair, as she ignores its lapping at her face from behind her shoulder.
After completing the read, she comments:
"We have what we need to either bring down the Keep to prevent capture. . Or make sky mages rain from the sky."
She would accept the offered alchemist grenades, and give orders to store them according to her battle plan.
The idea of arbalests becomes another focus for her to pursue.
Back to top Go down
Gorebash

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 pm

A quick note in reply

"Best send supplies for the Militia to the Quartermaster, Captain Wester, but any assistance is useful. I doubt with Shadowdale's strength that offense will not be in any current plans. But many thanks for the Advice.
Sordoc"

He nods to himself... "Thissen is gonna be worrisome in't future"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zhent Agression and contra strategy   

Back to top Go down

Zhent Agression and contra strategy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next