Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Talented Mr Colt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FFSDave

PostSubject: Talented Mr Colt   Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Outside the Tentacus construction site Wester sits by the foreman's tent and stares up at his Automaton creation.  It had been over a year now since he had completed work on the construct, two years in development.  The 'bucket of bolts' was impressive at the time and still had some formidable combat capabilities but in the face of current dangers the weapon had become obsolete.  Upgrades were a possibility but the length of time involved plus the resources needed weighed against the final improvements weren't beneficial.  Titan would remain as it was... for the time being at least.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

His eyes glance between he construct before him then the cranes in the background and he is hit with a new idea.  A cunning idea and a smile cracks across his lips.  He gets up from his stool and makes his way into town, straight for the storage bank.  Signing his name as usual and paying the typical five hundred security fee's he enters the vault and unlocks his storage space.  From there he pulls several pounds of iron and several planks of wood.  He locks up the storage unit, nods to the supervisor and leaves.  

Trotting across the way to the far building with boards under one arm and a pack of iron bars slung over the other shoulder, the weight doesn't seem to phase him, hauling such weights were second nature to him.   He sets the materials down by the forge, changes into his forging wear and gets to work.  He starts with smelting the iron bars, since he knows this will take the longest time.  As they melt down he prep's the wood, sawing it to lengths that he desires and making quick jots to his journal of dimension measurements.  Piece by piece he nails the wood together and begins building wooden rectangular frames.

Setting four identical frames to one side he returns to his iron, now molten.  He fills a mold with the molten iron, a mold of long cylinder strips, about the thickness f a child's finger.  He leaves them to set and takes a short break yet keeps a keen eye on the iron as it cools waiting for the perfect time to begin forging.

As the moment approaches, he remove the one of the strips with a long pair of tongs and sets it out length ways.  He clamps it into place with a forge vice and takes a second strip and places it perpendicular to the first rod.  With his trust smiths hammer he melds the to bar strips together.  He continues this process throughout his forge work.  Throughout his forge work be crafts lengths of chain mesh, a single large shallow tray, a larger square wooden frame with a central beam, hinges, corner fasteners and four struts.  Some hours pass before he is finished.

With each piece built he carries them one at a time back to the Tentacus construction site and sets them by the building materials.  He begins to assemble the pieces.  To the  four wooden frames he hammers down the chain mesh with nail fitting it to length.  With each meshed piece he attaches the other at a ninety degrees angle and nails together. Now with a square pen, he fits the iron bar criss cross cage floor, bolting it into place. He sets the square frame on top and with each corner fastener tightens the floor and the lid to the square pen.

The work slowly takes shape as he builds a cage.  He attaches the struts to each of the four corners, making legs for the boxed cage that elevates it off the ground by about a foot. From the construction site he pilfers some scrap wood and cuts them to size to fit as door lids.  Screwing in the hinges to the wooden panels and the frame the cage now takes it's final form.  Lastly he slides the large metal shallow tray under the cage.

He steps back and admires his work.

From the position of the sun he guessed it was a little after noon and he hadn't eaten lunch.  His mind races with what he need to do next and before he clocks off to treat himself to a hot meal at the tavern, he fills several pales with water and dips a collection of iron ingots into the water.  Leaving them to rust.

After Eeating a fine meal of potatoes with mushrooms and beef, Colt makes his way to the local markets and barters for some of the most miserable chickens available.  He specifically seeks the hens that no longer bear eggs or the most runt like choices out of the flocks.  Satisfied with his choices he has them delivered to Tentacus grounds.

He doesn't return to the Guild House's territory, but instead makes a journey to the overgrowth.  There are machines there he must inspect.  Once there he clears out the local investations around the machines and inspects them.  He tinkers with ideas and sketches areas of the machines for his own research.

Wester's Sketches

"

As the sun sets he returns from his expedition.  The dozen chickens have been delivered and he places them into the suspended cage.  With them he adds a heaped bowl of corn meal and a bowl of water.  He turns in for the night.  There would be more to do tomorrow." />

Last edited by FFSDave on Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Title change)
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Fri May 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Over the last two days Wester returns to both the water pales with the rusting iron bars and the caged hens.  With the corroded iron bars he removes them from the redish brown rust colored water and sets them aside to dry in the sun.  He fetches a metal basin and fills it with several pints of dilute acid.  Taking tongs he clasps each bar and dips them into the basin giving each an acid bath to remove the oxidized iron.  When each bar is cleaned it is dripped dried of the acid and returned to the rusted water pales.  The sediment, now floating on top of the acid, is sieved and collected into a glass vial.
(Craft alchemy rank 26 / score 32  >  FeSO4 Iron Sulfate)

With the caged hens he changes the water dish and refills the dish of seed.  The large tray under the cage is full of chicken waste.  He puts on a face mask that resembles something similar to a surgeon mask and slides the tray from out under the tray.  With a trowel he scoops the mess from the tray and slops it into a large wooden barrel.  He slides the tray back under the cage.

Later that first day of Mirtul, Colt can be seen leaving the local alchemist with a hand full of incendiary vials.  He proceeds to the open grounds behind the construction site and begins his experiment.  He sets off the incendiary flasks  with different variations, one above ground, another compacted in earth, another submerged in a water bucket and so on.  Testing the potential.

Last edited by FFSDave on Sat May 16, 2015 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

Iwean will definitely be attracted by the noises and smells. Iwean will go to the site and investigate. If not stopped he will approach Wester. "What in the name of peace and quiet is going on here?"
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 am

Iwean would notice the usual Militia on high alert set up behind make shift barricade of Wagons and shields.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  There would also be Tentacus House security lead by Sedrin and backed by the intimidating Titan construct in and around the construction site.  

Wester would be standing jotting notes and formula equations from his experiment.  He turns his attention toward Iwean.  "You're on a construction site.  Construction sites are noisy." He gestures to the massive cranes hauling and creaking with weight, the crew men chatting, orders being yelled , constant hammering and others doing general labor.

He clasps his notes under his armpit and offers his hand in greeting "Don't believe we've met. I'm Professor W. Colt.  First Brother of the Tentacus.  Quartermaster Captain of Shadowdale Militia."  His face is covered from the nose upward by his helmet but it is clear to see he has a genuine smile on his full bearded face.
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 9:47 am

Iwean looks around and takes it all in. "What is that thing going to be used for?" Catches himself as if remembering manners. "Pardon me I'm Iwean, I believe we've shared the campfire before. I didn't know you were the Militia Captain. So the Academy is part of Shadowdale?" *Walks over to the vats and investigates them smelling and looking* "How would this stuff affect the river if it was spilled in there?"
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Notices how he doesn't shake his hand and lowers it inclining his head as he is asked twenty questions. "Curious one aren't you!" Yes I am Captain, since about the fifth day of Tarsakh." Looks to the construction. "Tentacus ins't an academy anymore we haven't been for more than a year."

Iwean would see murky rust colored water with rusting bars of iron in them. Not knowing what 'thing' Iwean is talking about, Wester has no idea how to answer and skips the question. "Well if someone were to carry those pales fifty feet from the tents there and pour them into the river it'd inconvenience me slightly. Apart from that what else do you expect iron to do when you drop it in the river?"
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 9:05 pm

///Sorry he would shake your hand///
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 9:10 pm

*Rubs his chin and nods his head apparently satisfied with something. He will attempt place his on Wester's shoulder.* "It is nice to see ambition tempered with consideration. I'm glad I came to meet you and would enjoy calling you a friend of the woods. How do you fancy having that title?"
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 pm

"Friend of the woods" his expression is hidden behind his helmet. He rubs his beard "I assume you are with the circle if you can grant such a title?" His question is rhetorical as he continues to speak. "If indeed you are, mister Iwean, I find your offer surprising considering the last time I spoke with the arch druidess. We did not part on favorable terms but your offer of friendship is not unwelcome."

Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Mon May 04, 2015 9:55 am

"Is that so, This buildup is disturbing but as long as measures are taken to prevent damage, and I'm sure your going to replant any trees you use. I would prefer to show you the trees to use. Friend of the Woods is not a title give but a life style chosen. So it was more about asking if you accept that title."
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 pm

"You're too late on the lumber front pal, majority of it was brought in months ago from Cormyr." He walks over to the foremans preparation table "As you can see the trees on our land have all been clear cut and disposed of.  I tried talking with Ravossel to get aid with reseeding and replantng but that just ended up with the arch druidress scolding me for asking for aid and attempting to do the right thing."  His tone is dry "It's like my Pa always told me, don't ever try to understand women son.  Women understand women and they hate each other."

"I did make a promise to Rav though." He thumbs toward the chickens in the cage "Once our guild is built, I'll go about replanting and adding a touch of my own home made alchemy craft to speed the growth process.  You'll have never known that a thousands footsteps came through this place once my 'green' thumbs are finished with it."
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 pm

"That sounds reasonable to me, But the trees that were on this island need to be replanted, I can surely help with that there are many areas that need help. I'll see if I trended where I shouldn't have with the Arch Druidess. Just let me know when you need help."
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Nods "Aye, will do." and with that Wester moves off.

As the days pass, from first day to seventh day, Wester can be seen repeating his process.  First the rusting iron ingots are given an acid bath and the sediment is collected and bottled.  Then the hens are feed and watered, again he scrapes the chickens waste into a wooden barrel.  He marks the out side of the barrel with a cut from his blade.  A measurement of how full it was, judging from his mark there would be a long way to go.  Seven days hadn't yielded as much as he had expected.  He makes a note in his journal to increase the number of cages and chickens at a later (safer) date.

Seeking solitude he takes the carriage to the cross roads and enters the Academy.  There within the library he begins a much more detailed drawing of his project.

He sketched a design featuring helical blades spun through cog work, propelled by the motion of the wheels.  This would be appropriate for ground clearing, he thought, so long as there was an outlet preventing any clogging.  Sitting back in his chair he pondered how he would work the drill mechanica to the machine.  Self powered from the drive it may bog down, he rubs his beard, a secondary or even tertiary power sources may be required.  That would up the production cost.  Not something he wanted to do, the budget had to remain cost effective.  He continued to think on it as the candle light flickered long into the night.
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Fri May 22, 2015 10:48 pm

Fifteen days of gathering chicken waste pass and the wooden barrel is full. Taking it, he carries the slosh of vile smelling nastiness to the alchemy labs. He fits a makeshift cloth mask around his lower face and wears heavy leather gloves before starting his concentrations. He begins by diluting the waste with three quarter parts water then separating the mixture. First through an alchemists colander, discarding the largest pieces of fecal matter, feathers and chicken feed. He retains what passed through The second phase of separation involves an alchemists sieve, again removing solids from the liquids. As a last measure he passes the last of the mixture through a cloth filter. Now left with a murky looking liquid he fills several fat bottomed vials with it. He assembles an alchemist distillery and boils the fluid. The still diffuses the water from the mix leaving crystals of the essence he was after. Urea nitrate.
Back to top Go down
tjhyland

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sat May 23, 2015 8:42 am

Iwean will check on the site and confirm there is run off of the chemicals from the rain.
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am

Iwean would find no chemical run off on Tentacus land. The urea nitrate was made in the alchemist labs on the second floor of the merchant building. The urea nitrate was bottled after completion.

Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Fri May 29, 2015 11:59 pm

On the fifteenth day, fourteen days ago, the captain sent out seven messengers.  Each message the same, requesting prices for war horses and war hounds and numbers readily available.  Over a period of seven days the messengers returned with variating responses.  Finally, on the twenty second day, two carriages with sealed chests are sent out, one south to Suzail, the other to the east and to the town of Yhaunn.

He'd watch the rain trickle down on the window, thinking to himself.  It had been seven days ago since he had sent off the expenses for this new cavalry horse, surely they were on their way!  Yet where to put them?  The training grounds had plenty of kennels out by the roadside, keeping the hounds on rotation with the patrolling guards.  This would give the men a new weapon in this war.  Scent. (http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com/t26445-grey-orc-scent-vs-disguises)

But the horses, that would be the problem, where to keep them stationed?  He'd rub his think beard and continue to watch the rain for some hours pondering on the idea.
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:49 am

Days pass and the caravan of cavalry are late to arrive, they where meant to show ar the end of the month. A group of Helmites and Militiamen are sent to investigate.

Almost a week passes and there is no word of from the contingency. Another troupe is sent to find them, Wester is in attendance.

After trailing through the woods, in the harsh unforgiving rain, the blighted dead descend upon the group. They battle hard against the waves of the dead, stumbling along in the dark, searching the forest. Eventually they would happen across the a wrecked caravan and Grey Scales picking through the dead. It had to be Grey Scales, he despised the drekking smeggers but diplomacy was key. With some choice words from the group they where lead to the Grey Scale encampment. I relatively impressive defensible fishing town.

There two Helmites had been 'rescued' by the Grey Scales and Wester, not concerning himself with their plight or injuries began questioning them on there mission. Then she came out. That damnable woman, Commander of the Grey Scales. Thlaria. He kept the conversation brief and civil. The horse units, from what she told him, where dead. He was unconvinced but accepted her word all the same.

It was Mineva that confirmed his suspicion that the Grey Scale stole his horse. They leave the area with the two helmites in tow, on the long walk back he plans to return and take back his stolen property. This would need specialized professionals. It was time to find some thieves.
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:32 pm

After finding the old spell book in the Jail Cells he'd disappear behind closed doors and study it. It contained various sketches for magical wards of positive energy used to hold prisoners at bay should they try to escape. He had enough skill to read the book but to start on work would require a mage. He knew the very man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talented Mr Colt   

Back to top Go down

Talented Mr Colt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1