Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Question Regarding Lolth

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

A Question Regarding Lolth Empty
PostSubject: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 pm

A question has come up in a private discussion between another player and I.

Is Lolth a Greater, Intermediate, or Lesser Goddess?

From what I know, Lolth was Intermediate prior to here silence in 1373DR. During her silence, she pooled her energy and metamorphosed into a greater deity.

From what I understand, we are playing somewhere around 1378 to 1379DR. This would be after the silence, so she would therefore be considered a Greater Goddess.

The section the board dealing with FR deities lists her and Intermediate.

The lore you find online is pretty divided on the matter, but if you pay close attention to publication dates and DR dates, you see she should be greater. War of the Spider Queen was published in late 2005, so the RL year 2006 and DR1373 should coincide by my thinking.

I know that I myself, as well as many other players have used Lolth's silence in RP and even based our RP off of it.
(For example, a refugee from Ched Nesed's fall during the silence is the perfect generic background for a drow in refugee camp)

After some thought two things occur to me.
1. Our server could be using custom server lore here in regard to Lolth's silence and her ascendancy, if so two questions.
A. If she is regarded as Int on this server, how do we RP references to the silence?
B. How to refer to the cataclysmic damage the silence caused? (like the fall of Ched Nesed)

2. Lesser/Greater mean nothing to PCs. These are simply catagorizations given to DM to understand a Deities strengths, and to mortals, a deity is a deity, Lesser/Greater mean nothing. Still For the sake of finding some clarity, I (and my friend) would like to know what the view is.....

Back to top Go down
devious78

devious78

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 4:19 pm

I rp the fall of Ched Nassad regularly because that is where Devious is from... So in my opinion She should be Greater.
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm

I've always RP'd Lolth as being a greater diety due to being set after the silence
Back to top Go down
Arjay

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 pm

All gods are inferior to Lolth. All weak, heretical, pitiful powers that pale before her glory!

(AKA: Drow don't care what people consider Lolth <_<)
Back to top Go down
FuzzieBunny

FuzzieBunny

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 9:13 pm

This question is I think, less about what Drow 'think' of Lolth and more about where Lolth stands in power. There are other gods Drow can worship and these things matter if a V or a K want to try to make it undercover in the temple. Evil posted something on The masked lord that said he was just about on par with Lolth in power. This was why undercover priestess of the Masked Lord and the Banshee Queen could be in the temple of Lolth and remain undetected as sleeper agents.
Back to top Go down
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm

This really is an interesting question.

Hopefully a DM can chime in and let us know, where the server lore stands on Lolth's Divine status. Fuzzie is right, this is more of a server lore mechanics question rather than an RP one.

When looking around the boards there is a lot that indicates the server in the past has considered her Intermediate or has left it unclear. For example, in Fuzzie's reference to the maksed lord, one could say that he is equal in power to Lolth, because his clerics can hide under her nose. Which is perfectly viable. Yet, it could also be said, that if the masked lord's clerics have to hide at all, he must be less than Lolth.

To me it seems that the posted server lore is slightly outdated, when compared to our RP in game. I know quite few people who have referred to the silence in their RP (other than the two who have already posted here). I am unsure how to even explain the purpose of the silence with out discussing it's results. Lolth grew stronger, Lolth gained her eighth manifestation, Lolth needed her Yorthae to complete her massing of power, etc.

I posted this public because the way I see it, the private discussion my friend and I were having had to do with Cannon Lore, and technically, we were both right, depending on what dates you are looking at. It then occurred to me, that our whole discussion could be moot, because cannon lore and server lore could be different. For example, I do believe that in our current server date, one or both the masked lord and Eillistrae should technically be dead but the server has chosen not to follow that part of the arch. (for obvious reasons, removing gods from established player bases could be a can of worms)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question Regarding Lolth   A Question Regarding Lolth Empty

Back to top Go down

A Question Regarding Lolth
Page 1 of 1