Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 PayPal Donation

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: PayPal Donation   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:32 pm

We are now accepting donations on behalf of our server. All of the money donated will go towards the internet bill and any hardware upgrades to the server machine itself. The main purpose of this is to provide us with funds for paying the bill for our fiber optic internet line. We currently host the server on a 30mbit dedicated fiber optic line which helps reduce lag and improve playability.

Also note that donations do not affect your status on our server in any way. It is simply a way for anyone that wishes to help us pay for the internet bill and any potential hardware upgrades for the server.

EDIT: Server is now on fiber optic.


Last edited by MustangSVT on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Currently donations will go for a solid state harddrive which will allow the server to run programs much faster including windows 7, nwn2 and mysql
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
Rod-of-Frost

avatar

Posts : 48
Join date : 2011-01-08
Location : A cabin somewhere in the Virginia Mountains with a nice two seater outhouse for a restroom.

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

With all due respect, and I don't know what yall do IRL but I assume one of you two are PC Techs in some field, but in regards to PC hardware are yall at least shopping around for prices to get more bang for the buck or sticking to one outlet/supplier for this upgrade?

Sorry, asking before I throw my hard earned cash at this upgrade.
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Rod-of-Frost wrote:
With all due respect, and I don't know what yall do IRL but I assume one of you two are PC Techs in some field, but in regards to PC hardware are yall at least shopping around for prices to get more bang for the buck or sticking to one outlet/supplier for this upgrade?

Sorry, asking before I throw my hard earned cash at this upgrade.
I'm a software engineer myself and am a pretty avid computer tech. We usually buy hardware from Newegg since the shipping is free, and their return policy is excellent. Generally, I shop around for which brand/model gives us best bang for the buck.

As an example, here's the current computer I own to show you I know what I'm talking about. For the record, I've been building my own computers for roughly 14 years now.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Overclocked to 3.2GHz/400FSB
Scythe Ninja+ heatsink
Intel X25-M 80GB Solid State Drive Rev2
2x Powercolor Radeon HD4890 PCs+ in CrossFireX
Mushkin 4GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
ASUS P5Q-E Deluxe motherboard
Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD
2x Samsung 24" LCDs
Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Sennheiser HD595 headphones
Razer Mamba wireless mouse (5600 DPI + a plethora of goodies)
Logitech G15 keyboard
+ roughly 2.5TB of storage
Back to top Go down
D'Hisway



Posts : 145
Join date : 2011-02-04
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Here some cookies for you who work so hard on a crazy server. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Our current upgrade plans are installing a new router and a new solid state hard drive. We have already purchased the router, and I believe I've found the hard drive we plan to buy.

Here is the router that we will be using. The reason we bought it is for increased security.

D-Link 655 DIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=D-Link%20655

This is the SSD drive we are looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550


Last edited by MustangSVT on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rod-of-Frost

avatar

Posts : 48
Join date : 2011-01-08
Location : A cabin somewhere in the Virginia Mountains with a nice two seater outhouse for a restroom.

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Question out of curiosity, how far are we from getting the SSD drive at this point?
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Rod-of-Frost wrote:
Question out of curiosity, how far are we from getting the SSD drive at this point?
We've now gotten enough donation to pay for the SSD drive, yes. After we purchase it, we're going to save the remainder donations for future upgrade plans which we haven't decided upon yet.
Back to top Go down
Rod-of-Frost

avatar

Posts : 48
Join date : 2011-01-08
Location : A cabin somewhere in the Virginia Mountains with a nice two seater outhouse for a restroom.

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Good to hear.
Back to top Go down
RangerPCW

avatar

Posts : 57
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:47 am

MustangSVT wrote:
D-Link 655 DIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=D-Link%20655
It is exactly what I use at home network to share internet line. Wi-Fi sometimes drops connections, but cable ports working well enough - ~600Gb/mon without issue.
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 am

RangerPCW wrote:
MustangSVT wrote:
D-Link 655 DIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=D-Link%20655
It is exactly what I use at home network to share internet line. Wi-Fi sometimes drops connections, but cable ports working well enough - ~600Gb/mon without issue.

The server will of course connect via cable ports
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 pm

MustangSVT wrote:
Our current upgrade plans are installing a new router and a new solid state hard drive. We have already purchased the router, and I believe I've found the hard drive we plan to buy.

Here is the router that we will be using. The reason we bought it is for increased security.

D-Link 655 DIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=D-Link%20655

This is the SSD drive we are looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

Both are now bought and paid for the D-link was put in yesterday SSHD is in route
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
Rod-of-Frost

avatar

Posts : 48
Join date : 2011-01-08
Location : A cabin somewhere in the Virginia Mountains with a nice two seater outhouse for a restroom.

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Whewt... Whewt...
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm

We purchased our drive today like DM_Bucephalus mentioned.

I would just like to say thank you again to everyone that has donated so far. Your help is extremely appreciated and will contribute into making our server the best performing server around.
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Just a update the drive is here I will head over to the server's location this next weekend ( I work this one) and see about installing
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
Pinto991

avatar

Posts : 280
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 46
Location : United States East Coast

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I can definitly tell that our server is well equiped. Especially the ping to the server. That fiber line makes a difference. My ping is normally around 50-60.

The cost for this dedicated fiber connection must be rather expensive per month. Are we getting enough donations to stay in the green?
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Update: Server will be down at 3pm EST for 1-2 hours for cleaning and the new hard drive
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Pinto991 wrote:
I can definitly tell that our server is well equiped. Especially the ping to the server. That fiber line makes a difference. My ping is normally around 50-60.

The cost for this dedicated fiber connection must be rather expensive per month. Are we getting enough donations to stay in the green?

We are blessedly lucky is this regard because a new company came into Skyiba's location and offers a unheard of dedicated fiber optic for *drumroll* about 70 bucks a month!

Thank you Skyiba's family for allowing us to host there and Mustang and I currently split the cost. All donations go into improving the original server I custom built.
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Our new hard drive is now installed and set up.

From here on, all donations will go to collecting a fund for a full server upgrade which includes a new processor, new motherboard and new memory.
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 am

MustangSVT wrote:
Our new hard drive is now installed and set up.

From here on, all donations will go to collecting a fund for a full server upgrade which includes a new processor, new motherboard and new memory.

This was so until a breaker blew at skyiba's so we're going to invest in a battery back up first that will allow windows to power down the server gracefully to prevent so many issues getting it back up.
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 pm

We have the next 6 months of internet line paid off between me and Bucephalus, so any donations that we get in will go exclusively to the new server fund.
Back to top Go down
Raikon

avatar

Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 35
Location : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:46 am

Is it possible that i make the donation with direct IBAN or the only one way is the PayPal ?
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Raikon wrote:
Is it possible that i make the donation with direct IBAN or the only one way is the PayPal ?
The only way is PayPal.
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
avatar

Posts : 6071
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm happy to announce that with the donations we received today, we now officially have enough to fund our new server. We will be purchasing the parts shortly. It will probably take up to a month to set up everything and move to it.
Back to top Go down
DM_Bucephalus
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1560
Join date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Alrighty folks...FYI after Mustang donated well over 100 dollars we have enough to upgrade! check back here for details
Back to top Go down
http://dalelandsbeyond.forumotion.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: PayPal Donation   

Back to top Go down
 
PayPal Donation
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Donation to the ophanage
» Blood donation [solo]
» The Roast of SHRP

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dalelands Beyond :: Rules and Vital Info :: Dalelands Beyond Rules and Guidelines-
Jump to: